I can't believe it is Tuesday... and I only have 5 weeks till I am a college graduate.
Today Elizabeth and I went to Bloomington Elementary and did our science experiments for my aunt's fifth grade class. It was fun. Way fun. We started with simple hot and cold packs. The kids seemed mildly impressed. We turned it up a notch with color changing water, the water would turn from blue to clear as we let it sit. We would then shake it up and it was oxidized and back to blue it went.
I would say our highlight of the presentation is when we made gak. The kids loved this one and we were able to have a few volunteers help out. The especially loved when Elizabeth made it sound like a fart. After the gak we went straight into Magic ink and had a girl write a message and then we sprayed it with some other chemicals and the message appeared. For our Grand Finale we planned on blowing up balloons with Hydrogen and Aluminum and then some elephant toothpaste...
We start reacting the HCl with Al and things are going well... then each container starts to react and starts to react fast... ha. The balloons almost popped from the excess of Hydrogen and both of us inhaled way to much of the gas trying to ensure that our balloons didn't explode. The kids were loving it- I was proud of myself because I didn't let a single cuss word out of my mouth. In the middle of the hoopla of Elizabeth and I trying not to blow anything up and both of us receiving some minor chemical/physical burns the fire alarm went off. hahah. No we didn't set it off, it was a fire drill. It was pretty funny. Once we got everything contained and the fire drill was over, we planned on blowing the balloons up and the idea was the students would see a flash of color sort of like a firework. We only had access to a dinky little candle and so instead of heating the balloon and making it POP, it sort of lamely lit the balloon on fire... hahaha.
We thought by doing elephant toothpaste we might redeem ourselves. The idea was the chemicals would react and foam would shoot out the top of the tube. The foam lamely overflowed and didn't really do anything cool. What a disappointment.
The rest of the day I have had a slight headache, one of my nostrils has been real dry and my hands smell. Elizabeth has reported the same symptoms. It is a good thing neither of us are going into Chemistry.
I have also been trying to drink more water. The problem is my bladder is not real large... this makes for awkward times when I am at work and pretty much everyone sees me go out and in and out and in of the bathroom. haha.
I am looking forward to Shauntae getting home tomorrow evening...
Hey Steph ...
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, I miss your cute self. Second of all, I might need to borrow some of your experiments when I get my own classroom. They sound really fun! You got a glimpse of what I will be doing for the rest of my life! ha ha Hope all is well. Miss ya. Love ya too =)