Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Florida!

Last week we found out Ethan's grandpa isn't doing very well. He has Parkinson's disease and doesn't have much time left. We had originally planned on taking this trip later this summer but we were fortunately able to bump it up to last weekend.
We flew out of SLC at 11:59 Thursday night. We had a long couple flights (a layover in Charlotte) and finally we arrived in Orlando on Friday morning. After renting our car, we headed straight to Universal for The Wizarding World of Harry Potter! The details at the park were incredible. The rides were fun (a bit nauseating at times). And the show at Ollivander's Wand Shop was great!

Our first stop was lunch at The Three Broomsticks with a Butterbeer. Can we say heaven?
 
 
After lunch we rode some awesome rides and went in every shop there was.
 
 
 I need the shirt below...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
We also bought a few treats from HP World. Our favorite so far? Fizzing Whizzbees for sure!

Following HP (and my dreams coming true) we headed to the hotel/pool/dinner. We had some of the best BBQ we have ever had at 4 Rivers Smokehouse. It was outside dinning and had a line out the door and into the street. It was well worth the wait!

Saturday morning we crossed another item off my bucket list- and went on an airboat ride! It was AWESOME! We saw a bald eagle, some gators, mud fish, and all sorts of birds. I totally recommend Captain Gator Bruce to everyone! We were able to go across water, mud, and LAND in the airboat. Seriously awesome.
 
 
 
 Us with the Captain!
 

Following the awesome ride, it was time for Ron Jon and Cocoa Beach!
And yes, we had our matching Color Me Rad sunglasses on.

For dinner we met up with Ethan's dad and Grandma and had FANTASTIC seafood. They were out of gator tail, so we thought we could give the frog legs a try.

I had such a great time meeting Grandma Ellen. Hopefully we get to see her again soon!

Sunday morning started with a visit to Grandpa Charles. It was such a blessing for Ethan to be able to visit his Grandpa and have a touching conversation. We didn't take any pictures, but will always remember the lovely visit.

For lunch we went for Mexican and enjoyed spending some time looking through pictures with Jeff and Grandma Ellen. I only wish I could have met Ethan's grandparents earlier. I also enjoyed being able to learn more about the Zander family history.

Sunday we headed back to Orlando and saw a few fun things on the way!
Swampy- The World's Largest Gator
 
 
 An upside down house.
 A stop in Christmas.

For dinner Ethan wanted to try crab- and like I am ever going to say no to seafood... The verdict? Ethan likes crab but found it a lot of work for a little meat.
 
 
 My favorite new shirt (that I am wearing as I blog.)

A few other fun things we saw in Orlando:
The McDonald's with the World's Largest Play Pen.
Speed Humps instead of Speed Bumps.
 The lobster car.
 
 And I was able to pick a lemon from a lemon tree!

Monday it was an early flight and a long day. We are happy to be back to Provo!

6 comments:

  1. what a fun trip! Now that I am reading HP finally, I can't wait to go to Harry Potter World!! It sounds like a dream. I'm with you on never saying no to seafood. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph! We LOVE Harry Potter World! I think it is one of my very favorite places! Looks like you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a blast!!! Great vacation; not so much HP for me, but the rest looked great. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. the only thing on my bucket list is going to harry potter land. damn you for having so many adventures. it's a good thing you are pretty. xoxooxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxxoxo and see you in a month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ps, i have no idea why it spaced out that whole sentence. computers are weird.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mm i love seafood too :) also when we went we enjoyed the speed humps too :)

    ReplyDelete