Friday Ethan and I headed to St George to get our packets, and go to the first time clinic. We were also able to hit up Pasta Factory and visit with the Stouts.
Saturday morning started bright and early. Here are a couple of getting ready pictures...
We walked over to the bus loading area about 2 blocks away. We were sort of blown away when we got there with the number of people there. We arrived about 5:05 and didn't get on the bus until 6:00ish. When we arrive the line was 3 1/2 blocks long. By the time we boarded the bus it was probably still 3 1/2 blocks long. SO MANY RUNNERS. Please notice all the people in line behind me in the picture below.
The bus ride up was quite the experience. We were crammed 3 to a seat, so I had Ethan on one side of me and a nice man who didn't say a word on my other side. Behind us we had Mr. Negative himself. I have never heard anyone complain so much about everything before. I really loved when he complained about how many runners there were. At one point he was complaining about how some people never shut up- Ethan and I just looked at each other and started to laugh.
The starting line was unreal. Seriously. So many people everywhere. There was music and excitement. I could have stayed up there all day. Oh- and there were so many port-a-potties. (Interesting fact- they use all the port-a-potties in a 2 county radius.)
The starting gun went off right as it was our turns to use the restroom. We went ahead and used the facilities, got back in line, and waited. We had just over a 9 minute delay from when the starting gun went off and when we actually crossed the starting line.
As far as the running goes- here are the highlights that I remember.
First 1/2 mile- Ethan and I ran it together. He then went ahead and I kept my pace.
Mile 2- the sun was up and it was close to 60 degrees. Also, I was thinking that so far it had been mostly uphill and I was surprised.
Mile 2ish- My foot went numb. Sometimes my feet go numb (or just one foot) when I run. I can't really figure out what causes it. Sometimes it stays numb (fortunately this time it didn't) but when it goes numb then I know it is going to be a long run... and it was.
Mile 6ish-7ish- Entering the town of Veyo was awesome. There were lots of people cheering, a band playing, and I almost started to cry. I realized quickly that if I cried then I couldn't breath, thus I couldn't run. I told myself to suck it up and wait till I cross the finish line. I think it was at that moment I realized that I really was completing this goal.
Mile 7- Starting the long walk up Veyo Hill. Most everyone around me was walking the hill (because you can basically walk it as fast as jog it.) I met a lady named Michelle that knew the Horlacher side of my family and had lots of nice and encouraging things to say.
Mile 8- Being halfway up the Veyo Hill and realizing its been a mile from heck- with more to go....
Mile 9- For basically the first time in my running life- my left leg started to cramp. I couldn't figure it out... so I had some icy hot put on it and kept going. (The volunteers are seriously so awesome. I would love to help at an aid station one day.)
Mile 13- I was just over my 1/2 goal time but happy to be there. This is where I hit the closest thing to my mental wall. I was wishing the marathon was a half and I could be done.
Mile 16-17ish- I understood why people told me leading up to the marathon to focus on finishing- not a goal time. By this time I was behind on my miles and feeling the pain. I just kept visualizing myself crossing the finish line under the beautiful balloon arch.
Mile 19- I was having a super hard time by this time. I had to use the port-a-potty and if it wasn't so stinky and hot- I would have seriously considered staying inside it and waiting out the end of the marathon until they took it back to town.
Mile 23.5- The nicest volunteer (not even at an aid station) passed me a baggie of ice. It was a cute family that once again made me want to start crying. As I passed the parents I told them how amazing their family is.
Mile 23.5ish- Tacy came to meet me and walk/jog with me. It meant so much to have her walking with me. The thing about finally entering town was that it makes you think that you are almost to the finish line- but you still have 3 more miles!
Mile 26- Tacy left me in Ethan's care to cross the finish line. Also, it was hot! Like over 90 degrees hot.
Ethan helped me finish the race- albeit so much slower than I had hoped and planned on. But because it was my first marathon- I am not dwelling on time. I am simply celebrating finishing! After crossing the finish line I had a small break down, then it was on to ice cream. We are waiting on the official marathon photos for one of us together- but here are a couple of us walking along like old people.
My mom brought my grandpa Horlacher to the finish line for a photo or two.
Adam brought Tacy flowers for her birthday and flowers for me for finishing the marathon.
The rest of the afternoon consisted of a long slow walk to the condo, lunch from the frostop, an ice bath, and some lounging.
Here are the rest of my thoughts on the marathon:
It was quite the experience. As far as the running went, it didn't go as planned. Some days you have good runs, some days you have bad runs. Unfortunately for me, I had my worst run ever. As I mentioned before, my foot was numb pretty early on, I had my first leg cramps, my fingers were sausages after the first 8 miles, and it was HOT! It also didn't help that I had been fighting a cold for a couple days prior. Its not that I am making excuses, just documenting for future runs. (Marathons? Maybe... but there is a strong possibility of maybe not.)
I loved the feeling of crossing the finish line.
When people ask how I did- I say "You know the people towards the end that you say 'how the heck are they running a marathon?' Yeah, that is where I was." I didn't finish when my training led me to believe I would. I don't like the feeling of wanting to prove to myself that I can finish when I want. But like I mentioned before- I loved the feeling of crossing the finish line.
I also loved setting a goal with Ethan, working on it together for several months, and then finishing it together. It has made me excited to set another goal with Ethan.
The marathon was a great experience ! (Well, maybe not at the time.) I am happy to say Ethan and I are now included in the 2-3% of Americans that have completed a marathon.
You two are supa cool. I was seriously almost crying when you would say that you were almost crying and I felt totally exhausted for you at the end as well. sympathy marathon symptoms even though i really have no idea:)Yay though! I am a proud best friend. exes and ohs.
ReplyDeleteGood job! I can honestly say I will never run a marathon, super impressive. I actually maybe teared up a bit reading this?? Yes.
ReplyDeleteWow, what an accomplishment. Good for you Stephanie...that is so awesome! I know what you mean about having "bad days" and can testify that the heat absolutely kills me!
ReplyDeleteSuper proud of you for making a goal and completing it...even though your body was sore and it wasn't as fast as you wanted. Wow, great job!
Seriously...you are so awesome!!!!! I could never do that (seriously, my knee would balloon up in the first mile) but LOVE feeling inspired by hearing your experience. And how neat that you and your hubs could accomplish such a big thing together.
ReplyDelete