Thursday, February 3, 2011

a hike, some cake, a tangent, and Welcome February!

This weekend Ethan and I had a lovely date night with the Wiests. We love Pizza Factory's dinner and a movie deal... Maybe a little too much. The movie of the night was True Grit.

Saturday morning Ethan and I woke up bright and early and headed to the hills. Ethan is taking a 35 mm photography class this semester and wanted to test out a couple cameras. We headed out to some waterfalls in the Red Cliffs area.





The hike was beautiful and breakfast at the Wagon Wheel was equally beautiful.

Saturday was also my dad's birthday and he (along with my mom and niece Jessica) just happened to be in town. After the birthday dinner, we headed to our house for the real party. I made a surprisingly moist chocolate cake with a coconut-pecan layer in the middle. Delicious, in my humble opinion.  I was very excited to play the kinect with my family. It quickly became a competition and to all of our surprise and amusement, we found out my dad cannot run in place. Ethan and I have laughed several times about it during the week.

I also had a melt down this weekend about my body. I have been working out more and trying to eat (slightly) better. My body image is something I have struggled with for a long time. Far too long in fact. I am blessed to have Ethan. He is awesome and encouraging. He is there when I have a break down and reminds me that I am pretty. That it is okay I don't weigh the same as I did in high school. That I can make changes if I want to and he loves me no matter what. I don't mean to be a debbie downer, nor am I seeking praises or compliments. I never really planned on blogging any of this but today I read this article on C Jane.

As I read the article, I kept thinking about my darling niece, cousins, and hopefully future daughters. I never want them to feel shame about their bodies. I am really going to try to separate my feelings about my body and the number on the scale. I will continue exercising and eating (slightly) healthier. I will strive to love my body for what it is. I will realize it will never be perfect, but I can still be pretty. I am sure melt downs will still occur, but as I promised Ethan- they will become fewer and farther between. And one day, I will be able to be a strong role model to my daughters and teach them love their bodies.

Moving right along- I would like to welcome February- The Month of Love! Ethan and I will be celebrating our six months of marriage on Valentines day... and we might even run a 5 mile race the Saturday following. How romantic is that? Want to hear something else romantic? Ethan mentioned to our ward in his talk a couple weeks ago, that after seeing the movie Tron and our discussion about creating light bikes one day in the eternities, that he REALLY knew he married the right person. Do I know how to woo him or what?

1 comment:

  1. Haha I'm so glad Tron helped him realize you two were meant to be. Are him and Matt secretly the same person?

    ReplyDelete