Monday, March 2, 2015

September 2014 Part a

September started with a little bit of concern. At my 39 week appointment my blood pressure was a bit high (probably from being on my feet all day Monday at the temple open house.) So they sent me in for a non-stress test on Wednesday the 3rd. (Which ended up being my last day in the office per-maternity leave.)

I passed with flying colors, so they sent me home and told me to take it easy. Which I did until Friday, which was my 10 year reunion I was in charge of. We headed up to Perry on Friday afternoon. The reunion was great, and it was so fun to reconnect (in person) with several classmates. Emily was awesome to plan the reunion with and spend time with.
 
 
Saturday was Peach Days, so we went to the parade and hung out with the Brackens before heading back to Orem. Jessica was in the parade for the Junior Peach Queen Pageant, which was a total bonus!

The following Monday, September 8th, I had my 40 week appointment. I was still not dilated at all, so we tentatively planned for me to be induced on the 16th. As my doctor was leaving the room, he said "I am on call tonight in case you decide you want to have the baby." I told him I had my fingers crossed but I wasn't holding my breath.  Monday is my normal day off, so I came home, took our sheets and comforter to the laundry mat, went to lunch with my friend Darcy (had a Chilie Rellano from Cafe Rio), made a dentist appointment, and did our weekly grocery shopping. Ethan had started his new job that day, so I started making spaghetti for dinner.
After dinner, Heather called and I was able to have a nice conversation with her. The contractions continued, so I decided to have a hot bath. This made the contractions speed up and by the time I got out, it was pretty well established we would be having a baby soon. Ethan and I spent some time putting things in the nursery away and cleaning up the house. We laid down to try and get some sleep, but that only lasted 2 contractions. Ethan got up and got in the shower. I quickly put my hospital stuff together and we headed to the hospital about 11:30 pm. We got to AF hospital about 11:45 and were soon admitted. 

As soon as I got there, they checked me and I was a 5. This means that I didn’t have to be monitored, they quickly admitted me. Because of a previous allergic reaction to topical litocane, we ran into issues with them not wanting to place an epidural. I kept progressing and they put some pain medication in my IV to try and take the edge off. Fortunately Dr. Jones was on call so he came in to discuss some options with me and worked with the nurse- anthesthician. They decided to do a skin test on my arms to make sure that I didn’t have an allergic reaction. They placed the epidural about 3:00 without litocaine and then gave me some really strong stuff that numbed me from the waist down. After this, they broke my water and allowed me to labor and try and get the baby down on his own and have him rotate posterior. 
About 4:00 am they gave me the normal epidural medicine. At about 5:15 Dr Jones came in and said I should start pushing. About 6:30 Dr Jones came back in and said let’s do this. Baby James was born at 6:55 am on 9/9/14. He weighed 7 lbs, 2.5 ounces and was 19 inches long. 

He had a bowel movement in the womb, so he had to have that suctioned out as soon as I delivered. He was having a couple of grunting issues, so I only got to hold him for a few minutes before he went to the nicu to be put on the CPap machine for 2 hours. Fortunately Ethan was able to go with him. They took me down from Labor and Delivery to Mother/baby and I was wheeled by the NICU and saw Ethan sitting there with him. It was really sad and hard for me to see. They brought him in about 10:00 am and I couldn’t believe all his hair! When I held him after delivery, he had a cap on so I didn’t see his hair. Every nurse, doctor, and person who saw him commented on his beautiful hair. 

Here is our first family photo. I am not sure how some women look so pretty in their after labor photos- I was a total emotional wreck. (In the best way. :) )

Here is another family photo from his birthday- after we had got a little sleep. That afternoon, my mom and dad came down to meet him. Tacy and Adam also came down for a visit. It is easy to say we were smitten with him as soon as we saw him (well, to be honest way before that.) He still has us both wrapped around his perfect, tiny little fingers. 
 
 
 
 

That night, Ethan went home to try and get a good night's sleep to get over his cold and take care of Jemaine. During a middle of the night nursing, I had a strong impression to name our little guy James. 

Here are a few pictures from his second day. 
 
 

Day 3 was a big day, it was the day we had to decide on a name and head home! After much turmoil (and tears), we named him James Anton Zander. James is after my Grandpa Horlacher and Anton is after Ethan's great grandfather. My friend Darcy had the cute banner made and it was waiting for us when we got home.

 
 
 

1 comment: